20 November 2008—Data centers are notorious energy hogs. In 2006, data centers in the United States ran up an electric bill of US $4.5 billion, according to a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency report. But engineers at IBM’s Zurich Research Laboratory think they can cut data centers’ energy consumption in half by cooling computers with water and reusing the dissipated energy to heat nearby homes. This week, at the International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis, known as SC08, in Austin, Texas, the IBM engineers presented details of a prototype system, which they say will be commercially available in five years. The engineers have built a data center that reuses 85 percent of the heat it generates while consuming about half the electricity, says Bruno Michel, manager of the advanced thermal packaging group at IBM’s Zurich laboratory. Instead of using air-conditioning or fans, the data center is cooled with water pumped through microchannels within the computers. The water absorbs the heat from the data center and is then pumped out to nearby houses for heating. The occupants pay for the heat. A 10-megawatt data center could produce enough energy to heat 700 homes, says Michel. Michel says the… Read full this story
- Geothermal heating, jacuzzi bath, American fridge
- 11 homes for sale in Wales that you can buy for £50,000 or less
- Move slower and don't break things: Facebook is feeling the Irish DPC heat
- Welsh county wants to change way its residents heat their homes
- Focus of Mother and Baby Homes investigation has moved onto headline-generating institutions
- Smear tests save lives, so why are numbers falling?
- Make your home look amazing with these fab flooring solutions
- 10 Best home security cameras from just £25
- Threat to tax 'cuckoo funds' as FG feels the heat on housing crisis
- Feeling the heat: Why EU climate targets depend on ditching boilers
IBM Tests Heating Homes With Data-Center Waste Heat have 300 words, post on spectrum.ieee.org at October 31, 2008. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.