THE ASSOCIATED PRESS CANNES, France — Despite the mood in Europe, don’t expect any austerity at the Cannes Film Festival, the annual Cote d’Azur extravaganza where glamor is wrapped in world cinema fervor and gauzy Mediterranean sunshine. Except for the Oscars, it’s the flashiest red carpet in the world, a ruby staircase flanked by tuxedoed photographers — and a world away from financial turmoil. Yet Cannes, the 65th edition of which starts Wednesday, fetes its directors as much as it does its stars. This year, there are plenty of both: esteemed international filmmakers like Abbas Kiarostami and Michael Haneke to big-name talent like Brad Pitt and Nicole Kidman. Among the 22 films in competition, there’s a particularly large American contingent, starting with the opening night film, Wes Anderson’s “Moonrise Kingdom.” The movie about adolescent love on the run brings a few new actors (Bruce Willis, Edward Norton) into Anderson’s carefully orchestrated world. Later, there’s David Cronenberg’s Don DeLillo adaptation “Cosmopolis,” starring Robert Pattinson, and Walter Salles’ (“The Motorcycle Diaries”) anticipated adaptation of Jack Kerouac’s beloved “On the Road.” That film, produced by Francis Ford Coppola, stars Sam Riley and Garrett Hedlund, but has attracted more attention for its supporting roles,… Read full this story
- Cannes film festival reveals 'political' competition line-up
- Cannes Film Festival 2015 Big Movies- Carol, The Sea of Trees, Dheepan, Macbeth & More...
- Selfies banned at Cannes Film Festival
- Cannes Film Festival 2018: 10 films to look out for
- Selena Gomez, Julianne Moore and Eva Longoria dazzle at the Cannes Film Festival 2019
- Cannes: 10 things to know about the world's most important film festival
- Venice 2014: muted film festival aims to discover 'new faces, new subjects'
- Venice Film Festival 2019 highlights
- Cannes film fest 2019: The tops and the flops
- Head of Berlinale on the film festival's most unforgettable moments
Cannes Film Festival 2012: An American influx at French institution have 294 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at May 15, 2012. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.