Preview by Michael Gapper Releasing Black Ops 2’s DLC in honking great map packs as opposed to Modern Warfare’s one-map-per-month schedule is good for his designers, says Treyarch’s design director, David Vonderhaar. It’s good for finding themes and good for experimenting with the usual rules behind Black Ops’ multiplayer maps, and while that’s not to say that Revolution is a Battlefield 3-style "nothing but tanks!", "nothing but close-quarters!" explosion of creativity, it’s trying out new things with cover, corners and map interactivity to test whether the old Treyarch design rules are still valid. The Treyarch rulebook (actually more of a rule-Powerpoint-presentation) governing engagement distances, first engagements, spawning, angles of attack, cover height and map structure tends to make modern Call of Duty maps feel similar but also makes it hard for any designer to build a bad map. They’re rules with deep foundations, and they run almost entirely contrary to the name on the box this DLC doesn’t come in: Revolution is about micro-updates rather than wholesale changes to COD’s oh-so-delicate formula. Hydro, Mirage, Grind and Downhill are all based on those same Treyarch design rules as described by online director Dan Bunting – three ‘lanes’ across the map with… Read full this story
- Get a Call of Duty Black Ops IV beta key AND win one of 10 PS4 Pro consoles
- Get a Call of Duty Black Ops 4 beta key AND win one of 10 PS4 Pro consoles
- Police make appeal over racist abuse of black footballer on Liverpool bus
- PS4, Xbox, Nintendo Switch GAMES: The BEST titles coming to your console in 2018
- Everything you need to know about Gamescom 2018
- When is Spider-Man PS4’s release date in the UK, is there a collectors edition, who are the villains and is there a gameplay demo?
- State of Decay 2: Is the open-world zombie game fun and is it worth your money?
- Love Fortnite? Here’s 5 other battle royale games you should try
- Fortnite gamer attempted suicide after his obsession turned life into nightmare
- Here's what you could have missed in court this month
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2's Revolution DLC hands on - we've played every map have 347 words, post on www.pcgamer.com at January 28, 2013. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.