Four years after the Deepwater Horizon spill, oil is still washing up on the long sandy beaches of Grand Isle, Louisiana, and some islanders are fed up with hearing from BP that the crisis is over. Jules Melancon, the last remaining oyster fisherman on an island dotted with colorful houses on stilts, says he has not found a single oyster alive in his leases in the area since the leak and relies on an onshore oyster nursery to make a living. He and others in the southern U.S. state say compensation has been paid unevenly and lawyers have taken big cuts. The British oil major has paid out billions of dollars in compensation under a settlement experts say is unprecedented in its breadth. Some claimants are satisfied, but others are irate that BP is now challenging aspects of the settlement. Its portrayal of the aftermath of the well blowout and explosion of its drilling rig has also caused anger. “They got an advert on TV saying they fixed the Gulf but I’ve never been fixed,” said Melancon, who was compensated by BP, but deems the sum inadequate. The oil company has spent over $26 billion on cleaning up, fines and…
- "Invisible and toxic" oil from Deepwater Horizon spill may have made disaster much worse than previously thought
- Ten Years After Deepwater Horizon, U.S. Is Still Vulnerable to Catastrophic Spills
- U.S. to Roll Back Safety Rules Created After Deepwater Horizon Spill
- In the Blink of an Eye, a Hunt for Oil Threatens Pristine Alaska
- Lawyer who won Ecuador oil case against Chevron back in court fighting 'most vicious corporate counterattack in US history'
- BP boosts dividend, buy-backs as profit soars
- Remembering the Exxon Valdez oil disaster - the day hell broke loose in paradise
- Years After Death, Battle for James Brown’s Estate Rages On
- Economist: Higher prices will ease by this time next year
- Oil and gas industry pipeline problems are well-established. Why did it take a fatal explosion to spur action?
Compensation battle rages four years after BP's U.S. oil spill have 326 words, post on at April 18, 2014. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.