Stratus Technologies has been working on wringing a few extra “9s” of availability out for its customers. The company has developed fault-tolerant servers for those needing at least six 9s of availability (99.9999 percent available) and software solutions for those needing only five 9s of availability (99.999 percent available.) The company has demonstrated a software-based solution to bring OpenStack-based workloads to a new level of availability and reliability.
Here’s what Stratus is saying about its demonstration
Stratus Technologies, Inc., the leading provider of availability solutions, will showcase its technology breakthrough for cloud during the OpenStack Summit in Paris on November 3-7. Stratus will be giving the first ever public demonstration of an Always-On cloud using its fault-tolerant technology. The demonstration, at the Stratus booth (D7), will show how business critical workloads can now run in OpenStack clouds with some of the industry’s highest levels of availability, without rewriting the application. This will enable cloud providers and enterprises to improve the reliability of cloud infrastructures and reduce the complexity of making applications cloud-ready.
Endorsed by key members of the OpenStack ecosystem, Stratus’ approach to enabling enterprise grade OpenStack clouds leverages Software Defined Availability (SDA) to provide a simple way to achieve always-on availability for all apps – whether legacy, cloud native, stateful or stateless – as well as the ability to dynamically adjust availability levels. This is a significant cost and resource advantage for businesses looking to advance their cloud plans.
Improving reliability for OpenStack clouds is critical to facilitating broader enterprise adoption. To meet this challenge, Stratus has developed an industry exclusive set of Linux and KVM extensions to provide unparalleled availability services for OpenStack workloads. This includes support for fully redundant, fault-tolerant instances, as well as other more common high availability approaches from a single, simple set of cloud management tools. These extensions are facilitated by a unique set of virtual machine migration features Stratus is providing to the KVM community for the benefit of all virtualized Linux distributions. Stratus is also working with key KVM partners to ensure these enhancements become part of a future version of KVM.
Stratus is showing an updated version of its everRun technology supporting OpenStack-based workloads. It is trying to gain industry attention by using two different catch phrases — “The Always On Cloud” and “software defined availability.” I’ve always been impressed with everRun and believe that the newest generation of that technology could be vital for those wishing to execute critical applications in an OpenStack-based cloud.
In the past, the best that organizations could do was to use a high availability (HA) monitor combined with virtual machine migration technology. The HA monitor would detect problems and the virtual machine migration software would move critical tasks off of the ailing machine and onto some other host. While this approach is workable, it can take some time for the critical workload to arrive safely at the other machine and start executing. This wait could be to long for some critical applications.
Although this isn’t a product release, I expect Stratus’ technology to become important in the future.
- Bears-Saints clash showcases high picks Trubisky, Lattimore
- RTI Information Cannot Be Denied On Ground That Authentic Information Is Available With Another Authority : Delhi HC [Read Judgment]
- Trial Court Has A Duty To Ensure Availability Of Diligent And Effective Defence Counsel For Accused: Allahabad HC [Read Judgment]
- What Action Is Being Taken Against Those Availing Benefits Of Several Slum Schemes? Bombay HC Asks Authorities [Read Order]
- Order U/S.14(2) Arbitration & Conciliation Act Can Be Challenged Under Article 227: Allahabad High Court [Read Order]
- Justice Krishna Murari Appointed As Chief Justice Of Punjab And Haryana High Court [Read Notification]
- Lifetime Income: Participant Needs, Retiree Risks and Retirement Solutions
- Diane Dodds: Smart solutions, not special status, can put our border squabbles to bed
- 2nd National Conference Of Computer Committees Of High Courts: Here Is All That Happened
- HCM City: Trade fair promotes high-quality Vietnamese goods