Feature Article Hero Image AppleInsider may earn an affiliate commission on purchases made through links on our site. Building upon How Intel lost the mobile chip business to Apple , a second segment examining how Apple could muscle into Qualcomm’s Baseband Processor business , and a subsequent segment After eating AMD & Nvidia’s mobile lunch, Apple Inc could next devour their desktop GPU business , this article examines: How AMD & Nvidia lost their mobile GPU business, just like Intel Apple developed its own mobile GPU without help from AMD or Nvidia, much the same way it created mobile CPUs without help from Intel. In both cases, Apple’s silicon design team adapted existing, licensed processor core designs: CPU cores from ARM, and PowerVR GPU cores from Imagination Technology. In a sort of bizarrely parallel fashion, both PowerVR and ARM originated as desktop PC technologies 20 to 30 years ago, then jumped into the mobile market after a decade of struggling for relevance in PCs. Both subsequently flourished as mobile technologies thanks to limited competition, and both were selected by Apple as best of breed technologies for the original iPhone in 2007. Due in large part to rapid technology advances funded… Read full this story
- Intel’s Koduri continues a GPU computing revolution he helped start years ago
- AMD Radeon VII GPU gives gamers a bigger playground
- Oculus Link beta now lets you play Rift games on your Oculus Quest, but only if you've got an Nvidia GPU
- The great GPU crisis - why are graphics cards so expensive now, and just how bad is it?
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 and 765G Will Feature Updateable GPU Drivers
- AMD’s Adrenaline 2020 now lets you stream PC games directly to your phone
- WWDC 2019: Mac Pro, iPadOS, iOS 13, WatchOS 6, and everything Apple announced
- Qualcomm Bets Big on 5G With Its Newest Mobile Chips
- Google Pixel XL Review and Giveaway
- Apple sues former chip designer for breach of contract, working on chip startup Nuvia
How AMD and Nvidia lost the mobile GPU chip business to Apple — with help from Samsung and Google have 315 words, post on appleinsider.com at January 23, 2015. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.