Alive Inside is an award-winning documentary about music’s capacity to reawaken our souls. It explores the positive impacts of music therapy on people living with Alzheimer’s. In one scene, a nursing home worker puts an iPod shuffle on a 90-year-old Alzheimer’s patient who had been uncommunicative. When the man hears his favorite music, he begins to sing and dance.The scene inspired Emily Keller, a design student at Umeå Institute of Design in Sweden, and the three other women working on a project with her.”This scenario is very common, with music transforming an individual from being isolated and catatonic to ‘alive inside,'” Keller said. After extensive research, Keller wanted to create a music therapy platform with consideration of all of the needs of an Alzheimer’s patient and their families, friends, and caregivers. So she and three other people in a master’s program, Miglė Padegimaitė, Lina Trulsson, and Darja Wendel, built Remind, a digital music player that connects with a smartphone app, during a two-week project. Music is an incredible experience. It reminds us of important times in our lives and the emotions we associated with those times. According to the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America, music can be very powerful in sparking… Read full this story
- How A Grammy-Nominated Chicago Teacher Is Using Music To Help Students Heal
- 900,000 UK dementia patients could benefit from Oxford treatment breakthrough
- Scans of Alzhemier's patients could show how disease will shrink the brain
- Suspected dementia patients ‘left in limbo’, with some waiting up to a year for diagnosis
- Alzheimer’s disease: Tai chi may significantly improve cognition and stave off decline
- Tony Bennett health: Star misses the Grammys due to 'continuing struggle' with Alzheimer's
- Alzheimer's disease annihilates the brain cells that keep us awake, scientists believe
- Dementia: Do you nap during the day? You could be ‘40% more likely to get Alzheimer's'
- GPs urged to prescribe music for dementia as it is 'more cost-effective than medication'
- Heardle, the Wordle of music, has users rushing to name that tune
Remind music app helps Alzheimer's patients bring back memories have 332 words, post on www.techrepublic.com at January 26, 2015. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.