SAN DIEGO — During one of the most popular panel discussions here at Comic-Con 2015, a Friday event devoted to the upcoming film “Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens,” director J. J. Abrams fielded a question from fans regarding cast diversity in upcoming Star Wars films. Two audience members jointly asked Abrams whether — given his track record of helping build a diverse cast as director of the “Star Trek” reboot films — he could confirm if there will be more Asian characters in the Star Wars universe. Asian characters are few and far between in the Star Wars franchise — one appears in the original trilogy’s last film, “Return of the Jedi,” but for only four seconds before dying in a fiery explosion. Abrams said that while he won’t be casting future films in the franchise, because he’s directing only Episode VII, he did include Asian characters in “The Force Awakens,” which opens December 18. “I think it’s important people see themselves represented in film,” Abrams said. “I think it’s not a small thing.” Diversity has become a hot subject when talking about the world of comics, science fiction and fantasy, as well as the subcultures and technology-driven… Read full this story
- JJ Abrams Returning To Director’s Chair On ‘Star Wars: Episode IX’
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens has shocked racist trolls. Should it?
- Star Wars fan gets dying wish to see The Force Awakens before release
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens – new trailer features Rey, Finn and Kylo Ren
- ‘Chronicle’ Helmer Josh Trank To Direct A ‘Star Wars’ Movie
- ‘Star Wars: Episode IX’ – Colin Trevorrow Confirmed As Director At D23
- The folly of Empire: how Star Wars menaced Hollywood
- JJ Abrams: new Star Wars movie 'influenced by Terrence Malick'
- JJ Abrams says Star Wars: The Force Awakens will work as standalone movie
- Tour de force, say fans as Star Wars franchise stirs after 10 years
Director J.J. Abrams weighs in on diversity in the Star Wars universe have 313 words, post on www.cnet.com at July 11, 2015. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.