Story highlights Jessica Lynch received hero status after she was wounded and captured in the Iraq War She says that was overblown; the West Virginia mother today gives motivational talks But she also grapples with physical and mental wounds that remain 12 years later This is one in an occasional series called “Rewind: Where are they now?” It catches up with people who stumbled into the headlines, and then largely faded from view. Elizabeth, West Virginia (CNN)At night the Iraqi men come again for Jessica Lynch. They chase her through the woods. The crunching of the earth beneath their boots drowns out her pounding breath. She turns but can’t see their faces. Before they grab her, she wakes up. The nightmare has never changed over 12 years. The woman made famous for being a prisoner of war would give anything for it to stop. “I try to dream about peaceful things, beaches,” Lynch said. “That is what I cannot understand. Why are they chasing me?” Read More It’s a rainy June day and Lynch has awoken with more than the few hours of sleep she normally gets. She’s standing outside the courthouse in Elizabeth, West Virginia, her tiny hometown. When… Read full this story
- Krysten Ritter bundles her son Bruce up inside her jacket and even outfits him with a matching beanie for chilly mommy-and-me outing
- I'm A Celebrity FIRST LOOK inside Gwrych Castle camp complete with rusty beds, a dingy Privy toilet and Kiosk Cledwyn manning Ye Oldee Shoppe as stars brace themselves for the most brutal living conditions in show's 20-year history
- Inside Soap Awards 2019: EastEnders' Maisie Smith dazzles on the red carpet in sparkling silver flares and matching handkerchief top
- Little Mix 'have made secret plans to all go solo next year' as Jesy Nelson takes 'extended break' from the group due to 'private medical reasons'
- Bless the Rains: Inside Toto’s Slow Fall and Surprise Resurrection
- Inside the billionaire Getty dynasty wrecked by booze, addiction, suicide and kidnapping
- FMIA Week 10: Inside The Hail Murray And How The Cardinals Got It Done
- Eight hurt in shooting at Wisconsin mall, gunman still at large
- Anton Ferdinand: 'I have kicked myself for years for not speaking out'
- Mumbai terror attacks 12 years on: Tributes paid to 26/11 martyrs in Mumbai
For years, former POW Jessica Lynch kept the hurt inside have 372 words, post on edition.cnn.com at July 19, 2015. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.