By Agence France-Presse Strolling a tree-lined Shanghai street with friends, Hu Dongyuan pulls out her smartphone and does what millions of Chinese women do daily: take a selfie, digitally “beautify” their faces, and pop it on social media. Such virtual makeovers, typically involving lightening skin, smoothing out complexions and rounding the eyes, have propelled selfie-editing app Meitu to the top ranks of China downloads. With more than 450 million active China users, Meitu is now also gaining traction abroad, using its more advanced features to challenge Instagram and Snapchat, which depend largely on filters and stickers. China has a world-leading 700 million mobile-Internet users, vast numbers of whom use such apps to fuss over their digital appearance. “It’s the same as with clothing and makeup. They are all ways for people to better present themselves,” said Hu, a travel agency employee, who likens Meitu to a cheap, non-permanent form of cosmetic surgery. She added: “Everyone uses it as a kind of personal advertisement.” Meitu, which means “pretty picture”, launched a Hong Kong IPO in December that valued the company at $4.6 billion at the time, despite consistently posting losses. It was Hong Kong’s biggest tech IPO in nearly a decade…. Read full this story
- In Swipe at Trump, China Tells UN Tariffs Could Plunge World Into Recession
- In China, Macron Offers a Horse, and a Vision to Counter Trump
- China’s Spenders Are Saving. That’s a Problem for Everyone.
- China's 70-year parade shows economic and military might - Daily Mail
- As China Cracks Down on Churches, Christians Declare ‘We Will Not Forfeit Our Faith’
- China Plays ‘Fight the Landlord’ to Tame Hong Kong
- China won't back down in its plan to dominate tech
- 16+1 summit: China ready to fund Centre in Sofia for EU partnership
- China celebrates 70th anniversary with huge military parade
- Hollywood Fears Financial Losses as Donald Trump’s Trade War With China Escalates
China selfie-app leader seeks to ‘beautify the world’ have 309 words, post on technology.mb.com.ph at February 21, 2017. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.