They’re hearing something and finally saying something. Two years ago, the first ShotSpotter gunfire sensors were installed in Brooklyn and the Bronx amid great concern that far too often — about 80% of the time — New Yorkers who heard shots didn’t bother calling 911. Since then, the rate has improved — with 34% of shootings detected by ShotSpotter also resulting in a 911 call, according to 2016 statistics. The rise comes as both arrests by police and complaints against officers are down substantially while the department adheres to a new policing philosophy that stresses a closer relationship between cops and the neighborhoods they serve. Deputy Commissioner Jessica Tisch, the NYPD’s technology guru, said the sea change is affecting the way New Yorkers think about the NYPD. “We know that based on neighborhood policing that the NYPD is making significant efforts to partner with the communities and we also know that cops are responding more to shots fired jobs because they know about more shots being fired,” Tisch said. “The numbers show more people are engaging with police.” Sgt. Joseph Freer, who works with Tisch on the ShotSpotter initiative, said that even though the alerts are sent to cops’ smartphones… Read full this story
- A closer look at disparities in NYPD's homicide clearance rates: "It made me feel like they didn't care"
- New York City overall crime increases 31% while incarceration conservation rate stoops to 18%
- ‘Alexa, call 999’: Smart speakers could automatically raise alarm about people in cardiac arrest, researchers say
- Groups say gunshot detection systems unreliable, seek review
- This device helps prevent sudden death from an abnormal heartbeat
- Can New Openings Be Found for Capital?
- Best Prime Day deals 2022: More early deals just landed | Digital Trends
- iPhone 14 news: Here’s everything we know so far
- The Lawless Frontier
- The Quiet Health-Care Revolution
EXCLUSIVE: NYPD ShotSpotter gunfire sensors improve rates of 911 calls, arrests have 290 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at March 27, 2017. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.