Nearly 20 years into the iconic franchise’s history, there’s no escaping the “Madden Curse.” Since Garrison Hearst broke his ankle in 1998, shortly after starring on the cover of Madden NFL 99, most of the players who “starred” on the game’s cover have suffered an injury the following season. Of the 20 players who have been selected to grace the cover Madden games prior to this season, 17 have had troubling or abruptly shortened seasons following their cover debut — including several who suffered season-ending injuries shortly after their game hit shelves. The legend has grown from a simple joke to the sort of superstition that has fans aggressively campaigning to keep their teams’ stars off the game’s cover.This season, the curse’s target will be New England Patriots QB Tom Brady, whose Madden NFL 18 cover selection comes hot off of his fifth Super Bowl win earlier this year. Thanks to Brady, the Patriots are the first NFL team to have two players selected for the cover back-to-back: Brady’s teammate, Tight End Ron Gronkowski, fell victim to the curse, suffer multiple injuries last season after his appearance on the cover of Madden 17.The spectre of the Madden Curse has become so widely recognized, in fact, that the gambling world has begun posting odds each year regarding the likelihood… Read full this story
- Sports games like Madden and FIFA are winning, but they may not keep their lead
- Nick Kyrgios smashes two rackets and curses at umpire in Cincinnati defeat
- Draco Malfoy Is Back in Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Photos
- Blind people fear days after lockdown, say social distancing is a curse
- Boris Johnson is riding high, but will he beat the curse of the crisis?
- ‘Pose’ Star Ryan Jamaal Swain on Abuse, Fame, LGBT History, and Defining as ‘Queer’
- Lee Guittar, editor-publisher of SF’s Hearst Examiner in 1990s, dies at 88
- Children of the wartime evacuation
- What Kim Yo Jong's rise to the top says -- and doesn't say -- about being a woman in North Korea
- Photos: Ancient Greek Burials Reveal Fear of the Dead
The History of the Madden Curse have 342 words, post on www.digitaltrends.com at May 12, 2017. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.