It’s not just the folks at AMD who hope that that the company’s Epyc server processor, officially launched Tuesday, will break Intel’s stranglehold on the data-center chip market.Enterprise users, web hosting companies and hyperscale cloud providers all want competition and choice in server chips to curb costs and fuel innovation.”OEMs have been looking for an alternative to Intel for a long time, and with Intel having 98 percent market share I can say that there’s absolutely a need, from the OEM point of view and the channel point of view,” said Patrick Moorhead, principal at Moor Insights & Strategy.Judging from specs, performance benchmarks and memory features as well as the supporting voices from software and hardware makers in the data center ecosystem, Epyc has the best shot of any chip to hit the market in years at putting a crack in Intel’s dominance.”For AMD to penetrate the market, win hearts and minds, to create value that customers are willing to pay for, we have to be disruptive,” said Dan Bounds, senior director of data center products and enterprise solutions at AMD. “To come in and have a product that looks and smells like the competition really isn’t useful.”Though AMD has… Read full this story
- Mobile Workstation Crams in 128 Cores of AMD's EPYC and 2TB of RAM
- 20GB Intel data with key chip secrets leaked, probe on
- AMD Reaches Highest Overall x86 Chip Market Share Since 2013
- AMD Ryzen 9 4950X details leak - a potential gaming king?
- Apple switches to its own chips for Mac computers as it adds features, privacy controls
- Intel Is Investigating How Confidential Data Ended Up Online
- Intel Promo Drops 9th Gen Coffee Lake CPU Pricing Up To 25 Percent
- Intel Teases Tiger Lake Launch Event on September 2 (Update: Confirmed)
- More than 20GB of Intel source code and proprietary data dumped online
- Acer Aspire 5 Magic Purple version launched in India with 10th Gen Intel Core i3 Processor
AMD launches its Epyc server chip to take on Intel in the data center have 323 words, post on www.cio.com at June 19, 2017. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.