ONLINE searches for the phrase ‘how to impeach a president’ jumped by 5,000 per cent the day Donald Trump defeated Hillary Clinton in the race for the White House.Since taking office, Mr Trump has been under constant scrutiny and a special prosecutor threatens to derail his presidency. Here’s the latest on a possible impeachment and how the process works.Impeachment is where a formal accusation of serious wrongdoing is lobbied against a sitting president or any other senior US official.According to the United States Constitution, the House of Representatives can vote to impeach but it’s the Senate, the upper chamber, which actually tries the case.The US Constitution states a president “shall be removed from office on impeachment for, and conviction of, treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanours”.The process has to be started by the House of Representatives – currently controlled by Trump’s own party – and needs a simple majority to pass.However impeachment does not necessarily result in removal from office – it is only a legal statement of charges.A trial is set in the Senate and a two-thirds vote is necessary for removal – but in America’s history this milestone has never been reached.Only two presidents in history have… Read full this story
- Coronavirus: Donald Trump refuses to take responsibility after downplaying the threat for months
- As World Leaders Go Into Coronavirus Isolation, How Would Quarantine Affect Trump's Presidency?
- Trump rails against rivals at conservative conference CPAC
- Pelosi: Trump and McConnell 'should not try to hide behind' impeachment excuse over coronavirus response
- AP FACT CHECK: Trump, 'wartime' pandemic leader or 'backup'?
- President Trump Will Deter Critics, Turn Doubters Into Believers With His Handling of Policies, Coronavirus
- Impeachment 2.0? How Dems & Soros Using COVID-19 Crisis to Disrupt Trump's 2020 Bid
- Juan Williams: Mueller, one year on
- 10 Reasons for Liberals to Be Thankful This Year
- Ex-U.S. Ambassador Was Warned to Leave Ukraine on ‘Next Flight’ Over Threats to Her Security
Impeachment meaning – can Donald Trump be impeached, what is impeachment and how does it work? have 320 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at November 9, 2017. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.