Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings. SUBSCRIBE Just one week after an Uber self-driving car fatally struck a pedestrian, Waymo, Google’s autonomous vehicle spin-off, has announced a partnership with British automaker Jaguar-Land Rover that aims to see one million rides a day in driverless cars. As many as 20,000 Jaguar I-Pace battery-electric vehicles will be added to the Waymo fleet over the next two years, officials from the two companies announced Tuesday at a New York City news conference, joining the “thousands” of Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid minivans Waymo had already committed to purchasing. “We have confidence what we’re putting on the road is safe,” Waymo CEO John Krafcik said during the New York event. Over the weekend, at an annual dealer conference in Las Vegas, the former Hyundai Motor America CEO said he had “a lot of confidence” Waymo’s vehicles would have been able to avoid the collision that killed 49-year-old Elaine Herzberg when she walked off a median onto a Tempe, Arizona roadway and was struck by an Uber-modified Volvo XC90 SUV. The deal between Waymo and Jaguar marks the first time an all-electric vehicle has been lined up… Read full this story
- California Inc.: China accelerates plans for self-driving cars
- Inside Uber's secret self-driving car testing facility
- Self-driving taxi service Waymo rolls out perks to lure riders
- Chandler employees to use self-driving cars for work rides
- Magid: Soon, you could cash in on your Tesla as a self-driving cab
- Inside the race to develop the first flying, self-driving car
- Why humanity will come to regret inventing self-driving cars
- Here's what Pittsburgh discovered about self-driving vehicle testingYou may also be interested in...
- Self-driving trucks begin delivering mail for US Postal Service
- Apple nabs self-driving car tech with Drive.ai acquisition
Waymo unfazed by Uber fatal crash, plans 1M self-driving rides a day by 2020 have 307 words, post on www.nbcnews.com at March 27, 2018. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.