The EU and Mexico said on Saturday (Apr 21) they had reached an “agreement in principle” to modernise an existing free trade deal, as the Latin American country faces pressure from protectionist measures threatened by US President Donald Trump. The EU and Mexico released a statement, about an “agreement in principle” over trade, from EU Trade Commissioner Cecilia Malmstrom (L), Mexico Economy Minister Ildefonso Guajardo Villarreal (R) (seen in 2017) and EU Agricultural Minister Phil Hogan. (Photo: AFP/Pedro Pardo) Under the updated terms of the 2000 deal, “practically all bilateral trade in goods will now be duty-free, including in the agricultural sector,” the European Commission, the EU’s executive arm, said in a statement. The move is seen as sending a strong signal to Trump who last year launched renegotiations of what he has previously referred to as Mexico’s “cash cow” – the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). The US leader’s threat to even axe NAFTA altogether if he is not happy with the new conditions has stoked tensions and uncertainty among signatories to the deal, which also include Canada. The EU-Mexico agreement was reached after “months of intense negotiations, said a statement co-signed by EU Trade Commissioner Cecilia Malmstrom,… Read full this story
- EU Diplomats Slam Johnson's Ultimatum on Free Trade Deal as 'Self-Defeating Strategy': Report
- Brexit: Boris Johnson tells EU that free trade deal must be done by 15 October
- Tony Abbott says Britain can get a zero tariff free trade deal with Australia by the end of 2020
- Johnson tells EU to agree trade deal by Oct. 15 or 'move on'
- Deal in danger: On post-Brexit U.K.-EU trade deal
- Australian ex-PM sets out free-trade credentials but coy on UK role
- UK/Japan trade deal good for consumers, companies, Johnson tells Abe
- Michel Barnier warns the UK there will be NO Brexit trade deal at the end of the year unless Downing Street caves in on the crunch issue of fishing rights by the end of next month
- Opening up post-COVID-19 free trade to save the planet
- India ready to sign trade deal, says US to take final call
EU, Mexico reach agreement on free trade deal have 342 words, post on www.vir.com.vn at April 21, 2018. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.