A year after the launch of its Velop mesh router system, Linksys is back with a smaller, cheaper model, with one big catch: it’s slower, too. The new Velop units, first announced in January, are available to preorder today with sales starting May 15th and will be sold in one-, two-, and three-packs, for $129, $199, and $299. That’s a lot cheaper than the old models, which cost $200, $350, and $450 for those same quantities. Because it’s a mesh system, which uses multiple router units working together to blanket a home with Wi-Fi coverage, you’ll presumably want at least two. There’s one substantial difference between the cheaper and more expensive models. The cheaper models are dual-band routers, meaning they broadcast two wireless networks, whereas the more expensive models are tri-band, so they broadcast three. That third band isn’t strictly necessary — it’s only used so that the routers can relay information between each other. But having a dedicated router-to-router communications band can allow for faster speeds. That said, depending on the size of your home, how many devices you’re connecting, and what you’re doing with them, you may not need that extra speed. So it’s entirely possible that a… Read full this story
- TP-Link’s new mesh router can control smart home gadgets
- ET Deals: Save 50 Percent on Luma Home Wi-Fi Mesh Router Three-Pack
- ET Deals: 50 Percent off Xbox Game Pass, Luma Mesh Router for $100
- Curious Case of Assam Cement Selling Cheaper in Bengal
- Linksys Velop Whole Home Wi-Fi review: Easy and modular
- Nigeria World Cup kit sells out in minutes as fakes flood Lagos markets
- Velop vs. Eero vs. Amplifi HD: Which should replace your AirPort router?
- D-Link Covr review: mesh Wi-Fi network defeats us
- #BetaNews20 Giveaway: Linksys Velop Dual-Band Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System
- Is the FBI right about rebooting your router?
Linksys is now selling a cheaper version of its Velop mesh router have 314 words, post on www.theverge.com at May 1, 2018. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.