Heroes are an endangered species in American politics. Profiles in courage are in short supply. And honor seems like a word found only in the dictionary. But John McCain was an American hero who exemplified courage and honor in countless ways across decades of public service as a Navy pilot, prisoner of war, congressman, senator, and presidential nominee. He wasn’t perfect and never pretended to be. He was principled but unpretentious—acerbic, honest, and often very funny. He cracked jokes when the going got tough, because John McCain was always tougher than the times. He detested bullshit and the grifters who so often surround our politics, encouraging the current epidemic of situational ethics. But he loved his country without preconditions, even as he recognized his duty to speak truth to power as a citizen, as well as a senator. And that’s why he earned entry into the pantheon of America’s greatest senators, possessing a moral authority that exceeded many presidents, including the current occupant of the Oval Office. His example will inspire when more powerful men fade from memory. The rebellious son of an admiral, McCain often joked about graduating near the bottom of his class at Annapolis. But… Read full this story
- Watch: Meghan McCain Says Donald Trump 'Will Never Be a Great Man' and Leads a 'Pathetic Life'
- Tributes and Remembrances Roll in for John McCain
- President Trump signs defense authorization bill, doesn't say John McCain's name
- Trump Says 'That's Too Bad' After Crash of USS John S. McCain
- Sarah Palin Mourns Senator John McCain: 'We Lost an American Original'
- Senator John McCain's Wife Cindy Issues Statement Following Husband’s Passing: ‘My Heart Is Broken’
- President Donald Trump Expresses 'Deepest Sympathies' Over Senator John McCain's Passing
- Meghan McCain: Orrin Hatch 'Insensitive' for Saying It's 'Ridiculous' Trump Isn't Invited to Funeral
- Is Mayor Pete the man to beat?
- A Brief History of Old Guys Who Became President of the United States
McCain, the Man Who Should Have Been President have 318 words, post on www.thedailybeast.com at August 26, 2018. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.