Moving the Folly Boat has become, in some ways, its own folly. First, the 50-foot vessel that crashed into Chris John’s dock during Tropical Storm Irma last year weighs at least 20 tons — at least that’s the estimate of some engineers John hired. It’s made of steel, and it’s filled with cement.Removing it will require a crane. Transporting it back to Folly Road by water isn’t feasible, John said, because of holes in the back of the boat and the risk that it might sink, creating an environmental mess. That means potentially ripping out a few trees and a fence to create a path out of John’s yard, onto Sol Legare Road. Finally, the boat needs a place to land, and an insurance policy, too, in case an accident happens nearby. ”(It) has been a pretty slow process,” John said. “It hasn’t been so easy.”For decades after Hurricane Hugo swept the Folly Boat to its former resting place next to Folly Road in 1989, it’s been a sounding board for the community, painted and re-painted with political slogans, declarations of love and other messages.The process of re-creating a landmark that has exemplified Folly Beach’s funky, close-knit vibe has dragged on for months,… Read full this story
- Is the Party Over for New York’s Outlaw Houseboats?
- Tracking Henri: Helmetta Provides Snapshot Of What Central New Jersey Residents Are Dealing With Due To Storm’s Deluge
- India vs New Zealand: Road To WTC Final, India | Cricket News
- Preserving New York’s Ties to the Underground Railroad
- Bjarke Ingels Is Reshaping the Architecture of New York City
- The Best New Launches from Made In, Rothy’s, and More
- Neither critics nor production headaches could sink The Love Boat
- Who Needs a Crew? How to Sail Solo in Sea of Thieves | Digital Trends
- New Casino Sites that Stood Out in 2021: This Year’s Best New Online Casinos
- Below Deck Sailing Yacht crash: What happened during the yacht crash?
The Folly Boat may have a new site, but getting it there isn't smooth sailing have 327 words, post on www.postandcourier.com at August 9, 2018. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.