HOW insane that in 2018 there is still embarrassment and squeamishness over something as normal as having a period. It is just so sad that far too many young girls feel ashamed about something so natural — and far too many men and women simply will not talk about it. The only truly shameful thing about menstruation is that almost 140,000 young girls every year in the UK miss school because they cannot afford to buy sanitary protection. Every month they are losing out on vital education that affects their future. It is a scandal that cannot continue. Full credit to the Scottish government blazing a trail by ensuring pupils will be given free tampons and pads. This means that girls who come from homes where money is tight will have one less thing to worry about. It is also heartening to see that Dundee United, the football team I support, is providing free sanitary protection in the women’s toilets, along with other clubs including Celtic and Brighton. This is admirable, but it should happen in all sporting arenas and concert venues. I’m very glad to report that change is in the air. A campaign spearheaded by Britain’s Got Talent… Read full this story
- EXCLUSIVE: From filthy Russian mining town where she was too poor for high heels to love with Bradley Cooper - Irina Shayk's 'affair' with a sugar daddy and how she nearly didn't get a visa because of her Muslim roots
- 'We're going to make sure that access is not an issue with this medicine': Gilead CEO promises to make remdesivir affordable after studies revealed it may help coronavirus patients recover faster
- In video conversation with Rahul, Rajan suggests Rs 65k-crore aid for poor
- Made In Chelsea: Zara cries in the bath, Tiff out-sexes Miles and the girls tickle each other with feathers in the series 19 finale
- India's women given low-cost route to sanitary protection
- 'We can't afford to wait for the world to be equal': Michelle Obama opens up about her struggles as a young black woman in working-class Chicago in new trailer for Netflix documentary
- Climate Change and the End of Australia
- Britain's debt hotspot: how Newham is making ends meet
- The women taking the plastic out of periods
- Makeup on budget: Efficient low-priced makeup staples when you're broke!
We must end the scandal of girls who are too poor to afford sanitary products have 375 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at September 21, 2018. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.