Erin Blakemore, The Washington Post Published 9:55 am PST, Saturday, December 22, 2018 “Apollo’s Daring Mission” PBS Nova pbs.org/wgbh/nova/video/apollos-daring-mission – – – On Christmas Eve in 1968, the world paused to watch telecasts of something people had never seen: pictures of the moon and Earth taken from lunar orbit. As they circled the moon, the American astronauts read passages from the Book of Genesis in a powerful moment of calm. But the first manned mission to orbit the moon was rocky, chaotic and fearful. The space race wasn’t all guts and glory – and “Apollo’s Daring Mission,” premiering on PBS stations at 9 p.m. Wednesday, reveals one of its tensest chapters. The Nova TV series documentary shows how NASA turned tragedy into triumph after Apollo 1, the mission originally tasked with orbiting the moon, went up in flames. In 1967, during a rehearsal for that mission, three NASA astronauts died in a fire. The film includes audio of their sarcastic reaction to communication problems with Mission Control, and their realization that the cockpit was burning. The Apollo 1 tragedy changed the course of the U.S. space program. “We redoubled our efforts,” Jerry Bostick, who worked in Mission Control, says in the… Read full this story
- These Unsung Heroes of the Apollo 11 Mission Made the First Steps on the Moon Possible
- Half a century after Apollo, why haven’t we been back to the Moon?
- 50 years later, Apollo 11's "one giant leap" remains a defining moment in human history
- Touch & go moments in space missions: Action in space, drama on Earth
- The inside story of Apollo 11's nail-biting descent to the surface of the moon
- The Moon Missions Gave Us Way More Awesome Technology Than You Realize
- 60% lunar missions in last 60 years failed: Nasa fact sheet
- Astronomers Just About Certain They Found the Apollo 10 Lunar Module Floating in Space
- Apollo 11 Space Mission: Google doodle celebrates 50 years of Nasa's Moon landing
- NASA Celebrates Apollo 12’s 50th Launch Anniversary
'Apollo's Daring Mission' explores troubles, triumph of first manned mission to orbit moon have 317 words, post on www.sfgate.com at December 22, 2018. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.