DONALD Trump has declared victory over ISIS in Syria as the Pentagon prepares to pull all its troops out of the war-torn country. The US president this afternoon tweeted: “We have defeated ISIS in Syria, my only reason for being there during the Trump Presidency.” The news comes after US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis advocated a longer-term military presence to help ensure ISIS cannot reemerge. And after the United Nations revealed just three months ago that “between 13,100 and 14,500 ISIS members remained in Syria.” That figure included an estimated 4,000 to 6,000 jihadists “in the US military’s areas of operation.” However, President Trump has long expressed his strong desire to bring the 2,000 plus American troops home from Syria when possible. And today he proudly declared victory over the terror group while making it very clear he saw no further grounds for remaining in Syria. The actual timing of the withdrawal was not immediately clear and officials who spoke to Reuters did not disclose details about why now. Two US officials reportedly said a decision to withdraw had already been reached but that could not be immediately confirmed by the military. It was also unclear how soon a decision detailing any… Read full this story
- Trump wall - all you need to know about US border in seven charts
- Macron says 'red line has been crossed' in Syria
- Ten ways Trump has changed America
- German greenhouse harvests veggies in Antarctica; Macron’s plan aims to catch France up on autism care; more in world news
- What has President Trump said about your country?
- Preparing for White House, Trump to attend Army-Navy game
- The Latest: Putin: Russia backs Iraq’s unity in Kurd dispute
- Boris Johnson's bid for snap election is CRUSHED: Corbyn chickens out of letting public go to the polls as MPs inflict humiliating defeat on PM hours after passing law to stop No Deal
- The Latest: Putin says opposition must have positive program
- The Latest: Koreas agree on Moon’s Pyongyang visit
Donald Trump declares victory over ISIS in Syria and ‘plans complete troop withdrawal’ despite 14,000 fanatics still at large have 323 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at December 19, 2018. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.