“Since the start of the epidemic, the total number of cases is 434, including 386 confirmed and 48 probable. In total, we’ve had 252 deaths (204 confirmed and 48 probable) and 138 survivors,” said the health ministry in a statement on Saturday. The outbreak in North Kivu and Ituri provinces is the second worst outbreak of the virus, in terms of the number of cases, since Ebola was identified in 1976. The epidemic in West Africa in 2014 hit more than 25,000 people and killed more 11,000 across Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia. “The outbreak in North-Kivu has become the second largest Ebola outbreak in the world after the one in west Africa,” Oly Llunga, Congo’s health minister, tweeted. “Yet this is the first outbreak in history where we have so many preventative and curative treatments available to protect the population against Ebola. Thanks to these treatments thousands of cases and deaths were avoided,” Llunga added. More than 38,000 people have been vaccinated since the start of a vaccination campaign on 8 August, according to the health ministry. More than 17,000 people have been vaccinated in the city of Beni. Ebola is spread through human-to-human transmission and can have a… Read full this story
- Second death reported in new Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of Congo
- Ebola outbreak: WHO sounds alarm as second patient dies from deadly disease
- Democratic Republic of the Congo Declares Ebola Outbreak
- New Ebola outbreak declared as two killed and thousands at risk
- Ebola outbreak confirmed by WHO after second person dies from disease
- Fresh Ebola outbreak in DR Congo likely to spread to neighboring countries: WHO
- Second-Largest Ebola Outbreak in History Is Finally Over
- Ebola symptoms: 11 key symptoms of Ebola virus disease - what to do if you have them
- Ebola alert: Second patient dies in days - WHO warns 'time is NOT on our side'
- Do DR Congo peace talks stand a chance?
Ebola outbreak in eastern Congo becomes second worst in history have 298 words, post on en.rfi.fr at December 2, 2018. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.