FILE -In this Sept. 21, 2018, file photo, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis speaks during the 2018 POW/MIA National Recognition Day Ceremony at the Pentagon in Washington. President Donald Trump says Mattis will be retiring at the end of February 2019 and that a new secretary will be named shortly. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh, file) WASHINGTON – The extraordinary resignation letter that Defense Secretary Jim Mattis handed to a surprised President Donald Trump was not just a product of two years of accumulating frustration with an impulsive boss, but an outline of the strategic hazards facing the next Pentagon chief. Mattis, who was quietly back at work Friday while stunned Pentagon staff soldiered on around him, implicitly warned in his letter to the president of the threat to the U.S. from allowing alliances to fray and of the risk that disrespecting allies will undermine U.S. credibility. It was an outline of the challenges facing the nation and whoever takes over as defense secretary when Mattis leaves Feb. 28. “As this Administration continues to implode, Secretary Mattis’ extraordinary resignation is a significant loss and a real indication that President Trump’s foreign policy agenda has failed and continues to spiral into chaos,” said Sen…. Read full this story
- Mattis in the spotlight amid new book claims
- Pence outlines U.S. Space Force plan for 'next battlefield'
- 'Ricin mail' sent to Pentagon and top US politicians leaving two in hospital
- US military outlines plans for space-based anti-missile assets demanded by lawmakers
- US defense chief woos Brazil as Chinese influence grows
- US Defense Sect. Mattis backs space-focused military command
- Declassified docs reveal how Pentagon aimed to nuke USSR and China into oblivion
- 13th Bled Strategic Forum: Bridging the Divide
- Lincolnshire Police could lose 60 officers as chief constable warns of ‘stark choices ahead’ without more funding
- Lincolnshire’s Chief Constable warns of ‘stark choices’ ahead if more funding is not provided
Mattis outlines strategic hazards facing next Pentagon chief have 305 words, post on www.foxnews.com at December 21, 2018. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.