Rob Lancaster Updated at 8:11 a.m. ET Updated at 8:11 a.m. ET Novak Djokovic secured a record-breaking seventh Australian Open title in ruthless fashion on Sunday, dismantling Rafael Nadal 6-3 6-2 6-3 in Melbourne. The top seed dominated from the outset as he breezed to a 15th career grand slam — taking him clear of Pete Sampras to sit alone in third place on the all-time list — and his third in succession, having also won Wimbledon and the U.S. Open last year. The two all-time greats produced a classic encounter in the tournament’s showpiece in 2012 — Djokovic eventually prevailing in a deciding set after five hours and 53 minutes on court — but this time it was a complete mismatch. Nadal had not dropped a set in reaching the final yet struggled to make an impact in a stunningly one-sided contest, the left-hander succumbing to the brilliance of the Serbian, who moves beyond Roger Federer and Roy Emerson for most wins in the history of the event. Magnificent Seven! @DjokerNole is the #AusOpen 2019 men’s singles champion def. Rafael Nadal 6-3 6-2 6-3. #AOChampion #AusOpenFinal pic.twitter.com/x5oRr6pfuO — #AusOpen (@AustralianOpen) January 27, 2019 The tone was set as early as the second game when Nadal lost his opener on serve to quickly… Read full this story
- Rafael Nadal to face Novak Djokovic as Spain and Serbia set up ATP Cup final
- Novak Djokovic: Repeat. Three-peat.
- Rafa Nadal reveals he has a WhatsApp group with rivals Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic which three chat in
- Rafael Nadal opens up on his ‘rivalry and friendship’ with tennis legend Roger Federer
- Rafael Nadal reveals plan for 2020 is just to stay fit as he hunts down Roger Federer record after injury nightmares
- Novak Djokovic batters Alexander Zverev to reach French Open semi-final
- Australian Open 2018: Order of play for Sunday, including Kyle Edmund and Grigor Dimitrov
- Australian Open 2020 Takeaway: Men’s and women’s tennis are in very different places
- Nadal cruises into Barcelona semis; Tsitsipas stuns Thiem
- Nadal 'so sad' after Indian Wells cancelled over coronavirus fears
Australian Open 2019: Novak Djokovic brushes aside Rafael Nadal to reign again have 334 words, post on www.sportingnews.com at January 27, 2019. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.