By The Washington Post | February 18, 2019 at 8:05 am By Karla Adam and William Booth | Washington Post LONDON — Seven pro-Europe lawmakers abruptly quit the opposition Labour Party on Monday over their frustration with its leader Jeremy Corbyn’s handling of Brexit and anti-Semitism allegations in the ranks. The seven said that they would sit in Parliament as an independent group. Their defection creates new opportunities and complications for the upcoming votes on how Britain leaves the European Union next month -if it leaves at all. At a morning news conference, Parliament member Luciana Berger said she had become “embarrassed” and “ashamed” of the Labour Party, which she said was “institutionally anti-Semitic.” Berger, who is Jewish, added she was leaving behind a culture of “bullying, bigotry and intimidation.” Chris Leslie, another breakaway lawmaker, said the party had been “hijacked by the machine politics of the hard left” and that Labour’s “betrayal on Europe was visible for all to see.” While many Labour party members support a second referendum on whether to leave the European Union, Corbyn has been cold to the idea of a do-over. Leslie said, however, that “our differences go far deeper than Brexit” – revealing… Read full this story
- Europe’s Jews Facing Resurgent Anti-Semitism, Highest Levels ‘Since the Second World War’
- Labour MP calls for billionaires to be DRIVEN OUT of Britain as Jeremy Corbyn lays out hard-Left election plans to hammer the rich
- Labour’s Naz Shah Marks Death of Winnie Mandela with ‘Inspirational’ Quote Endorsing ‘Necklacing’ Murders
- UK parties face judgment of public in local elections
- Theresa May is unfit to drive Brexit through. Take away her keys
- Norway or no way? Can Efta fix it for Brexit Britain?
- The eastern countries standing up to Brussels in the wake of Brexit
- 'Operating in a parallel universe' — The UK government is failing to prepare business for Brexit
- The invention of Essex: how a county became a caricature
- How Emmanuel Macron Became the New Leader of the Free World
7 lawmakers quit Labour Party over Brexit, anti-Semitism have 323 words, post on www.mercurynews.com at February 18, 2019. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.