Target’s payment systems appeared to be missing the mark the day before Father’s Day, as terminals went AWOL in a number of the company’s US retail outlets. The outage caused long lines but prompted an encouraging show of sympathy for Target employees from people on Twitter. And there were some jokes too, of course.
“We’re aware that guests are currently unable to make purchases at Target stores,” the company said in its own tweet Saturday. “Our teams are troubleshooting now and we apologize for the inconvenience. We will provide an update as soon as possible.”
It’s not clear how many outlets were affected, though various reports said stores across the US were caught up in the chaos. The cause was also unclear. Target didn’t immediately respond to a request for more info.
The hashtag #targetdown was trending on Twitter, as users of the social network expressed sympathy for Target’s in-store workers.
“Anyone who has ever worked in retail feels for Target employees today,” read one tweet. “It’s not the local employees’ fault, so please, be patient and kind,” said another. “Just left target after patiently waiting for an hour or so,” another tweet said. “Every single person working there is amazing & I honestly feel for them.”
Not surprisingly, Twitter users had some fun as well, as the usual parade of cheeky remarks and animated GIFs took aim at Target’s unfortunate situation:
Xbox boss confirms Project Scarlett will have a disc drive: Here’s what else we know about the upcoming console, including 8K graphics, 120 fps and SSD.
Watch every E3 video game trailer from Square Enix, Ubisoft, Bethesda and Microsoft’s E3 conferences: All the trailers you need to see are right here!
- Fisher-Price Cash Register Toy Set For $10.50 Shipped From Amazon After $14 Price Drop!
- Teen rigs a McDonald’s cash register to play ‘Doom’ video game
- Man rams SUV into Staten Island laundermat, steals cash register and makes clean getaway
- Long lines form for $1,000 iPhone X
- Chicago airports get TSA relief from long lines
- Vote or pie: Group will deliver pizzas to polling stations with long lines
- Long Lines to Vote Are a Sign Democracy Isn't Working
- Talk about snail mail! Long lines, poor service worse than ever at some Brooklyn post offices
- Fast food drive-throughs are struggling to keep up with long lines
- Cubs fans resort to urinating in beer cups at Wrigley Field as renovations cause long lines at restroom