It’s not even Prime Day yet (that happens Monday, as you’ve undoubtedly heard), but two of the biggest rivals in smart-home technology are already on sale — at prices that match their all-time lows and probably won’t be seen again until Black Friday. The question: If you’ve got some spare cash to spend on a smart speaker, which one should you get?
Meanwhile, Walmart has a whole bunch of Google Home and Nest products on sale, including the Google Home Mini for $25.
These two hockey pucks normally sell for $50, so they’re both 50% off — making this a win-win scenario in my book. That said, if you don’t already have a smart speaker (and you’re not freaked out by the idea that humans might be listening to your queries), is there a clear winner between these two?
Here’s my take: If you own an Android phone, meaning you’re already acquainted with and accustomed to “OK Google”-ing, the Google Home Mini will fit your lifestyle better than an Echo Dot. The former is also the better-sounding of the two, at least according to CNET’s Google Home Mini review.
However, the Echo Dot is probably the more versatile of the two products, with a larger selection of skills and compatible voice-controlled devices. It also has more intuitive touch controls and a line-out jack for connecting external speakers. On the other hand, it’s the more reserved-looking of the two, with rather drab black, white and gray color choices. The Mini, at least, has a few pastels on the menu. Read CNET’s Echo Dot review to learn more.
Whichever model you choose, you’ll probably want to add an external speaker. (Both support Bluetooth connectivity.) Because while they may sound good enough for your den or nightstand, let’s be honest: These are small speakers. For big sound, you’ll need to help them out. These are our picks for the best Bluetooth speakers of 2019.
What do you think? If I handed you $25 right now, which smart speaker would you buy — and why?
- Prime Day 2019: Here come the deals
- The best Prime Day gaming deals (GameSpot)
- The best Prime Day fashion and clothing deals (ET Online)
- How to find the best Prime Day deals for your business (ZDNet)
- Amazon Prime Day 2019: Where to find the best deals on laptops, PCs, Chromebooks and tablets
- Amazon Prime Day 2019: Where to find the best deals on smart home gadgets
- Amazon Prime Day 2019: Where to find the best deals on headphones and speakers
- Amazon Prime Day 2019: Where to find best deals on phones
- Amazon Prime Day 2019: Where to find best deals on TVs and media streamers
- Amazon Prime Day 2019: Where to find the best deals on smartwatches and fitness trackers
CNET’s Cheapskate scours the web for great deals on PCs, phones, gadgets and much more. Note that CNET may get a share of revenue from the sale of the products featured on this page. Questions about the Cheapskate blog? Find the answers on our FAQ page. Find more great buys on the CNET Deals page and follow the Cheapskate on Facebook and Twitter!
We tested 5G speeds in 13 cities. Here’s what we found: Faster speed versus more coverage. That’s the most important issue for 5G networks today.
We drowned AirPods, Powerbeats Pro and Galaxy Buds: We sprayed them, dunked them and even put them through the wash to find out which one of these three wireless earphones can handle the most water.
Amazon Echo Dot
- Home Based Business For Under 100.oo Start Up - The Best Choices For Success
- Best Cleaning Game Plans for a Home
- Google AdWords - How to Tame the Fire-Breathing Dragon
- Secured Home Loan - The Most Important Financial Verdict
- Working from Home - Is It For Me?
- Business Names and Working at Home
- How to Find and Use Google's Brand-New Privacy Tools
- FHA Mobile Home Mortgage Loans - What to Expect When Applying For FHA Mobile Home Mortgage Loans
- How To Find A Legitimate Work At Home Business Online Opportunity
- Home Water Purification Systems - Why You Shouldn't Be Without Water Filtration In Your House