Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is resisting pressure to bring senators back from recess to address gun violence. Instead, the Republican leader is taking a more measured approach to consider the options. But that could very likely result in no legislation being passed, despite calls to “do something” in the aftermath of the nation’s back-to-back mass shootings. President Donald Trump is privately calling senators and publicly pushing for an expansion of background checks on firearms purchases. But he is offering no details, and those ideas have little Republican support. In fact, the White House threatened to veto a House-passed background checks bill earlier this year. After the shootings in Ohio and Texas that left 31 people dead, McConnell’s slow-walk is coming under criticism from those who want Congress to act. Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- House health care bill - GOP senators signal they'll make changes
- Schumer Suggests GOP Senators Will Support Call for Bolton, Mulvaney to Testify: 'They Don't Want to Be a Part of a Cover-Up'
- Republicans, Mitch McConnell 'Want to Abdicate' Responsibility for Gun Reform, Senator Says
- 'Dumb' GOP Strategy for Trump Impeachment Trial Shows McConnell Is 'Scared,' Former Acting Solicitor General Says
- Schumer requests four witnesses, including Mulvaney and Bolton, in letter to McConnell about Senate impeachment trial
- WATCH: Former GOP Senator Slams Congress: They’re Probably ‘The Biggest Instigators Of Hate And Racism’
- Is a trap being set for Trump in the Senate trial?
- Ilhan Omar Says Republicans Making 'Mockery of the Constitution,' Slams Senate GOP Leaders for 'Abdicating' Their Oath
- Houston police chief stands by criticism of McConnell, Cruz, Cornyn: 'This is not political'
- Senate GOP eyes punting decision on impeachment trial witnesses
McConnell, GOP Senate unlikely to act swiftly on guns have 287 words, post on www.sandiegouniontribune.com at August 7, 2019. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.