India has more than 630 million internet subscribers. But for every Indian who has access to the internet, there is at least one who does not and that person is most likely living in a rural area. Smriti Parsheera writes on the country’s growing digital divide.There is an exuberance around India’s digital story. The country is home to the world’s second-largest internet user base, consisting of more than 630 million subscribers. That is more than the total population of the US, the United Kingdom, Russia and South Africa put together. It also has the cheapest mobile data prices, which has allowed a large population to use the internet just in the last four years.Besides the size of the pie, data consumption is also on the rise. The average internet user now consumes more than 9GB of data per month. That translates to watching 16 hours of video a month compared to just 15 minutes in 2015. Other positive trends include a competitive e-commerce market, a booming video streaming industry and a choice of affordable devices. At the government’s end, electronic governance, mobile health and digital finance are at the heart of many policy discussions.All of this excitement is, however, surrounded… Read full this story
- PRESS RELEASE: FS1 home to 30th anniversary Sprint All-Star Race; Coca-Cola 600 on FOX
- Walmart expected to announce deal to buy India's Flipkart
- Mallya exit fuels political anger in India
- Million dollar digit: The No. 9 has an illustrious history in the Sprint Cup Series
- Sprint won’t remain title sponsor of top NASCAR series past ’16
- Dying for Christianity: millions at risk amid rise in persecution across the globe
- Should Sprint Cup teams be labeled cheaters for working in gray area?
- CFB AM: Jimbo Fisher won’t say no to leaving Florida State for NFL
- Leave it alone: NASCAR should stick with current Chase format for some time
- Jeff Gordon pursues fifth title that could leave him ‘sobbing for a week’
India's on a digital sprint that is leaving millions behind have 318 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at October 17, 2019. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.