The Supreme Court last week adjourned a hearing on a public interest litigation (PIL) seeking entry of Muslim women in mosques across country. A bench led by Chief Justice of India (CJI)-designate, justice SA Bobde, said: “We are adjourning it for a different reason.” The hearing took place on November 5. No reasons were assigned for deferring the hearing.On Thursday as a five-judge bench led by CJI Ranjan Gogoi referred the issues raised in the Sabarimala verdict to a larger bench, it suggested a similar reference of the PIL on women’s entry into mosque. “It may not be inappropriate if matters involving seminal issues including the interpretation of the provisions of the Constitution touching upon the right to profess, practise and propagate its own religion, are heard by larger bench of commensurate number of Judges. That would ensure an authoritative pronouncement and also reflect the plurality of views of the Judges converging into one opinion. That may also ensure consistency in approach for the posterity,” read the 3:2 verdict.The PIL pending before SC wants Muslim women to be allowed to enter mosques. A Maharashtra-based Muslim couple moved the top court seeking a direction to that effect…. Read full this story
- Bullied, beaten, trapped: Muslim women denied divorce from abusive men
- Recognising caste-based violence against women
- COVID-19’s impact on women’s mental health is on the rise, CAMH study says
- Rina Harun: All should work to end physical, mental abuse of women
- 65 mosques to open for Hari Raya Haji prayers on July 31
- UK Cops Claim Arrest of Woman Sitting on Bench Was 'Stage-Managed'
- Pakistan: Women's rights activists face new allegations of blasphemy
- Three New Books by Women in the American Political Sphere
- Mithali Raj, Ramesh Powar strike similar note; past is buried, looking ahead at larger picture
- Chained Women: The Jewish wives being held hostage in abusive marriages
Larger bench will take up issue of women’s entry in mosques have 303 words, post on www.hindustantimes.com at November 15, 2019. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.