Our president, in sickness and health. Photo: Stefani Reynolds/Bloomberg via Getty Images Donald Trump is not known for downplaying foreign threats. And yet, as the Wuhan coronavirus triggered quarantines throughout China, moved into South Korea, Italy, the United States, and at least 36 other countries — while throttling global supply chains and depressing foreign markets — the fearmonger-in-chief remained sanguine. At the World Economic Forum in late January , Trump assured the gathered plutocrats that the virus was "under control." Three weeks, hundreds of deaths, and one giant stock market plunge later, the president's song remained the same. "The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA," Trump tweeted Monday. "We are in contact with everyone and all relevant countries. CDC & World Health have been working hard and very smart. Stock Market starting to look very good to me!" The source of Trump's uncharacteristic reluctance to talk up a border-crossing menace to American public safety isn't hard to discern. As several news outlets have reported over the past 48 hours, the president fears that panic over the looming pandemic could chill America's hot economy — and nullify his strongest reelection argument in the process. A pandemic is nothing… Read full this story
- Trump’s first Democratic challenger explains why he started running for president more than 3 years before the 2020 election
- The GOP might not repeal Obamacare until after the 2020 election
- The way to real change is not ‘Aquino, resign!’
- 8 celebrities who might run for president in 2020
- ‘The Daily Show’ went to a Trump rally, and it’s like the bitter election never ended
- TV news broadcasters have ditched general election polls as a ‘total waste of time’
- How to hack an automated election system
- Election or revolution?
- Egypt opposition leader calls for election boycott
- Frustrated youth push for power in Taiwan elections
5 Ways a Coronavirus Pandemic Could Change the 2020 Election have 308 words, post on nymag.com at February 26, 2020. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.