NASA announced Mars 2020 Rover’s new name, Perseverance, during a live event on Thursday, March 5. Perseverance was submitted by high school student Alexander Mather, who attends Lake Braddock Secondary School in Burke, Virginia. “We are always curious and seek opportunity, but if rovers are to be the qualities of us as a race, we have missed the most important thing, perseverance,” Mather wrote on his essay. Besides the joy of having his suggestion selected, Mather will also be invited to watch the Perseverance launch from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida in July 2020. Mather has hopes to be in the space sector one day and said that he hopes to get a degree in space engineering and work at NASA as an engineer. NASA opened up a contest back in August for students to submit potential names of the Mars Rover. There were over 28,000 entries from all over the country, 158 semi-finalists, and nine finalists. The nine finalists included names like Tenacity, Promise, Vision, Ingenuity, and Endurance, but in the end, Perseverance made the cut. “Perseverance is a strong word about making progress despite obstacles,” said Dr. Thomas Zurbuchen, the Associate Administrator for the Science Mission Directorate at… Read full this story
- Nasa's 'Mars 2020' mission will hunt for signs of past life
- Mars Curiosity rover vs. Ford pickup truck: Who wins?
- Not Even The Mars Curiosity Rover Can Escape The Back Seat Driver
- Mars Curiosity rover can now drill again, and more like a human
- Mars Curiosity rover sings 'Happy Birthday' to itself
- Mars Curiosity rover team prefers Macs to PCs
- See a satellite view of the Mars Curiosity rover
- Mars Curiosity rover transforms into an official Lego model
- Mars Curiosity Rover gets second life as Lego model
- NASA working on waking Mars Spirit rover
The Mars 2020 rover officially has a name: Perseverance have 300 words, post on www.digitaltrends.com at March 5, 2020. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.