Published 7 May 2020 comments Comments Share close Share page Copy link About sharing London Zoo and its conservation work face an “uncertain future” without immediate support, the Zoological Society of London (ZSL) has warned. ZSL London Zoo and its sister site Whipsnade Zoo, in Bedfordshire, have been closed to visitors since 20 March due to the coronavirus lockdown. This has come at what is usually a peak time, when they would have expected 250,000 visitors, ZSL said. The charity’s core income has dried up while costs for staff remain the same. London Zoo has only ever shut for any length of time once before, for two weeks during the Blitz, before it reopened at the request of the government to boost morale in the capital. ZSL currently cares for 20,000 animals, many of which are rare and endangered. The income from the two zoos underpins ZSL’s scientific research institute and global conservation programmes, which help research diseases in wildlife, including coronaviruses. Director general Dominic Jermey said lockdown was putting it in a “very challenging” position. ZSL said it was struggling to obtain financial support from banks, because the organisation has no history of borrowing. It currently operates to invest… Read full this story
- London Zoo and Thorpe Park see enormous queues as attractions finally open again
- Kew Gardens, Snowdonia National Park and London Zoo among favourite UK attractions, survey reveals
- Coronavirus: Delhi zoo sends samples of animals to IVRI as 'precautionary measure'
- Indie bookstore Wayword & Wise faces uncertain future
- Alpine businesses that haven't earned since 2019 face perilous wait for winter
- Porsche drivers enter Daytona restart facing uncertain future - NBC Sports
- For Ty, JobKeeper meant food on the table. Now he's one of thousands of jobless Queenslanders facing 'scary' futures
- ASB Classic still facing uncertain future as managed isolation issues stall progress
- Italian Virologist Warns of Fourth Wave of Coronavirus
- Signs of Coronavirus 'Baby Boom' Developing in Finland
Coronavirus: London Zoo faces 'perilous future' have 307 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at May 7, 2020. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.