STRUGGLING Brits on benefits should get an extra £20 a week to help them weather the coronavirus storm, a group of MPs have demanded. Politicians on the influential DWP committee said that people who are on the old system – including millions of disabled people and carers – get the same £20 a week boost that people on Universal Credit have received. ⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates The Committee heard of hardship being faced by people across the country during the coronavirus outbreak. The Disability Benefits Consortium reported that 95 per cent of people surveyed had experienced a rise in costs for food, utilities and managing their health. The DWP have claimed that their IT systems and infrastructure means it would take them months to increase benefits for people on the old benefits system.Three million have now made a claim for Universal Credit since the start of the pandemic. Stephen Timms MP, Chair of the Work and Pensions Committee, said: “The coronavirus pandemic has highlighted weaknesses in a social security system which at times is too inflexible and slow to adapt to support people in times of crisis. “The focus has mostly been on the… Read full this story
- China facing 'grave' coronavirus challenge, says Xi
- Our face mask future: Do they really help beat flu, coronavirus and pollution?
- China extends lockdown on millions in coronavirus outbreak
- A traditional Chinese remedy said to help fight Wuhan coronavirus sparks skepticism -- and panic buying
- Coronavirus: Xi says situation grave as toll rises to 41
- Let us revisit sugar debate, 10 MPs say
- Part-privatisation of probation sector 'is a mess', MPs say
- Worried About Coronavirus? Expert Says Americans Should Be ‘More Concerned’ About the Flu
- Starship Children's Hospital ICU gets new beds to help 'real struggle' with capacity
- How Africa is preparing for the coronavirus
Benefits should rise to help millions struggling due to coronavirus, MPs say have 296 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at June 22, 2020. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.