Apple’s announcement of an event next week led many to speculate that the long-rumored new 5G iPhones were imminent. The company usually uses September to announce its latest phones, even with the expectation that this year’s crop would be delayed until October. As it turns out, next week’s event will be focused on the Apple Watch and iPad Air. Those wanting to learn more about the iPhone will likely need to wait until next month. For Verizon, the delay gives the nation’s largest wireless carrier some much needed time as it builds out its 5G network for Apple’s next marquee phone. Cut through the chatter Subscribe to CNET’s Mobile newsletter for the latest phone news and reviews. It’s a fortuitous outcome for Verizon, which is locked in a race with rivals AT&T and T-Mobile to cover more cities and neighborhoods with 5G. Much like with 4G, having those bragging rights is critical in an industry where network superiority is a huge factor for consumers. Had Apple launched its iPhone next week, Verizon would’ve likely not been ready with its network, opening it up to criticism from bombastic rival T-Mobile. Although it was first out of the gate with a consumer 5G offering… Read full this story
- Verizon Hits 31 5G Cities, Fulfilling Its Promise for 2019
- AT&T has officially launched 5G in parts of the US, and here's why it's a big deal
- EE switches on 5G in nine more UK towns and cities including Newcastle and Leeds and boosts coverage in train stations and other busy locations
- A safer & smarter iPhone coming up? Apple may add in-display fingerprint scanner, face ID to new device
- EE now has 5G in over 50 places as six new cities added – here’s the full list
- Apple iPhone 11 pre-order begins on September 20: Should you consider iPhone XR instead?
- Canalys: iPhone X was world's best-shipping smartphone over the holidays, but still fell below expectations
- Motorola’s wild new Razr is here, and it’s basically a foldable iPhone
- Sprint's 5G network solves a coverage problem but lacks Verizon's ridiculous top speeds
- Verizon Offers Customers 12 Months of Disney+ for Free
An iPhone 12 launch in October is a big 5G win for Verizon have 356 words, post on www.cnet.com at September 9, 2020. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.