Mark Sloan was tired of the stereotypes, of how people thought of southerners as slow-talking, slow-thinking bumpkins.So he set out to change those perceptions.The result of his efforts is the photo exhibit “Southbound: Photographs of and about the New South,” now showing at the LSU Museum of Art.Sloan, director of the Halsey Institute of the College of Charleston, and the institute’s curator-at-large Mark Long began working on the project six years ago.What started with a search for images developed in one of the most comprehensive projects about the American South ever assembled.“I think what we learned is that the South is so nuanced and complicated, and it can’t be reduced to a quick one-paragraph description,” Sloan said. “We knew it would be big, and we hoped it would be an important show, and we hoped it would be a landmark show, a kind of a channel marker for the future.””Southbound” premiered at the Halsey Institute in 2018 and has since been traveling to art museums throughout the country. It will run through March 14 at the LSU Museum of Art.”It’s a museum scale project that happened out of a small university museum,” Sloan said. “The Metropolitan Museum of Art hasn’t… Read full this story
- Italy's city of shame Matera becomes Europe's pride
- Dillian Whyte knocks out Dereck Chisora in Round 11 in thrilling rematch
- Dillian Whyte knocks out Dereck Chisora in 11th round after exhausting battle at O2 Arena
- The 2019 Wander List: 20 hottest places to travel this year
- Chelsea back to winning ways with hard-earned victory over Malmo
- 50 best holidays for 2019: Get your trips started here!
- My Brexit box: The people stockpiling food
- First 20 minutes will be key in Toulon says Edinburgh’s Ben Toolis
- What do old tabloid covers reveal about the rise of Donald Trump?
- Brexit live: MPs tell Theresa May to try to renegotiate her Brexit deal
'Southbound' exhibit wants to blow up stereotype of southerners as slow-thinking bumpkins have 312 words, post on www.theadvocate.com at November 20, 2020. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.