Of all the COVID-19-related setbacks, a shortage of semiconductors was low on the list of issues anticipated by carmakers around the globe. And yet, Volkswagen cautioned that it’s facing production delays due to supply issues. The German giant released a statement to explain it has to adjust production of every car built on its highly modular MQB platform in Europe, in China, and in North America. MQB underpins numerous nameplates, including the eighth-generation Volkswagen Golf, the Volkswagen Atlas, the Audi A3, the Audi TT, plus several SEAT and Škoda models sold overseas. Bigger models (like the Touareg) and electric cars (like the ID.3) are on a different platform. Semiconductors are found in a vast majority of new and late-model cars, where they’re part of a wide range of systems ranging from connectivity to electronic driving aids. While the global supply is normally relatively secure and stable, Volkswagen explained suppliers shifted their attention away from the automotive industry and towards consumer electronics earlier in 2020, when car sales nose-dived as a result of the global pandemic. Car sales recovered more quickly than expected, especially in China, and suppliers are having a difficult time juggling demand from carmakers and from manufacturers of… Read full this story
- Air pollution could make you BALD: Doctors now say you shouldn't exercise outdoors because pollutants emitted by car exhausts 'decrease crucial hair growth proteins'
- Car audio and video multimedia systems
- Joy for Peterborough motorist after court win over car park fine
- Google’s quantum bet on the future of AI—and what it means for humanity
- Elon Musk and Tesla are impossible to root for, but we’re doing it anyway
- 'Our minds can be hijacked': the tech insiders who fear a smartphone dystopia
- Reverse Cams and Parking Sensors – Necessities or Accessories?
- America's factories are in trouble. The trade war is only part of the problem
- 'Alexa, are you invading my privacy?' – the dark side of our voice assistants
- SoftBank-sized chill sweeps through Asia’s tech universe
There aren’t enough computer chips, VW warns, and it’s impacting car shipments have 326 words, post on www.digitaltrends.com at December 22, 2020. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.