Samsung-owned Harman and automaker BMW remain on track to launch the first series-produced, 5G-enabled car in July 2021. This technology is no longer merely the stuff of CES dreams: As of this writing, it's less than six months away from showrooms near you. Simply embedding a 5G connection into a car represents a massive challenge , though it's one engineers and designers solved together. BMW's electric iX SUV will inaugurate the technology. It wears an unabashedly futuristic design, but nothing about it screams "look, I'm 5G-connected!" when you see it. It's all under the sheet metal. But is it in the air around us yet? Digital Trends sat down with Vishnu Sundaram, Harman's senior vice president of telematics and 5G solutions, to get the lowdown on what still needs to happen before motorists can unlock 5G's full potential. Finding connections Even the most advanced 5G architecture is perfectly useless if it can't connect to a network. And, if you've ever driven across America, you know there are areas where network coverage is spotty at best and nonexistent at worst. "We need to increase the availability of connections. As cars increasingly rely on connected features, interruptions will really break the flow, which… Read full this story
- Are massive potholes rattling your nerves and wrecking your car? Tell us about it
- Green machines: Hennepin County will convert its fleet to electric cars
- Sprint announces when 5G will come to Kansas City. Here’s what you need to know
- Trump Vows to Win 5G Race
- Magid: 5G is coming, but should you care?
- Self-driving cars may kill auto insurance as we know it
- How to get the best deal on car insurance even in Michigan)
- Davis, Day step closer to qualifying for Volvo Car Open
- Accomplice testifies he was initially unaware of Mr. Cars killings, then was too scared to come forward
- Trustees look to intergrate Design Five Corners into municipal plan
In-car 5G is around the corner, but a lot needs to happen before it’s widespread have 331 words, post on www.digitaltrends.com at February 12, 2021. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.