SpaceX has announced Hayley Arceneaux as the second crew member for its first all-civilian tourism flight that will fly four people to Earth orbit later this year. Arceneaux's flight is set to mark three major achievements as she'll be the first bone cancer survivor to become an astronaut, the first person with a prosthetic body part to travel to space, and, at just 29, the youngest American ever to orbit Earth. Treated as a child for bone cancer at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee, she now works there as a physician assistant. Arceneaux will fly on the SpaceX Inspiration4 mission that was announced earlier this month. The mission will be led by Shift4 Payments founder and CEO Jared Isaacman, who secured the exclusive flight in a private deal with SpaceX. The two remaining crew members are yet to be selected. "It's an incredible honor to join the Inspiration4 crew," Arceneaux said following the announcement. "This seat represents the hope that St. Jude gave me — and continues to give families from around the world, who, like me, find hope when they walk through the doors of St. Jude." Arceneaux was diagnosed with bone cancer at the age… Read full this story
- Pentagon ramps up efforts to develop space robots that can repair satellites in orbit as it calls on scientists to submit proposals for new program
- Apollo 13 astronauts and flight controllers reflect on a 'successful failure'
- How SpaceX is prospering in the year of the coronavirus pandemic
- SpaceX reportedly eyeing May 2020 for first crewed flight of its spacecraft
- Boeing to repeat an essential test flight of its Starliner spaceship that is designed to ferry astronauts to the International Space Station after a botched demo in December
- NASA astronaut, Russian cosmonauts launch to the space station during a pandemic
- SpaceX Dragon spacecraft completes final mission ahead of crewed launch
- Ayuh! 2 Mainers are in orbit aboard space station
- Russian space chief attacks SpaceX for predatory pricing, Musk replies
- Houston, we have problem: Newly enhanced images and audio reveal the Apollo 13 crew preparing to return to Earth after the spacecraft's oxygen tank ruptured – on the 50th anniversary of the ill-fated Moon mission
SpaceX astronaut to become the youngest American to orbit Earth have 363 words, post on www.digitaltrends.com at February 23, 2021. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.