Seeing our planet from orbit is, by all accounts, a truly remarkable experience. There's even a phenomenon called the overview effect in which seeing the Earth from space can result in a profound change in how a person sees the world and their place in it. Those of us who are stuck on the ground can get a small glimpse of what that experience might be like from the photographs taken by astronauts or by instruments that show incredible views of our planet from high above. The Picturing Earth series from the Earth Science and Remote Sensing (ESRS) unit at NASA's Johnson Space Center has cataloged many of the images taken of Earth from above and has now shared some favorite images selected by team members and an astronaut who served on the International Space Station (ISS). Jeff Williams was a member of the International Space Station's Expedition 13 in 2006, and while in orbit he noticed the Cleveland Volcano on Chuginadak Island in Alaska erupting and spewing out a plume of ash. He notified the Alaska Volcano Observatory of the event and snapped this photograph from the ISS using a digital camera and an 800 mm lens. Another photograph… Read full this story
- Space station aurora images make Earth look other-worldly
- 2021: What awaits us in space this year?
- '70s CBGB photos take you inside the epicenter of punk
- EXCLUSIVE: Inside the Limelight: Never-before-seen photos expose the 1990s NYC club scene where outrageous costumes, shampoo rooms, sex and drugs ruled with regulars like Donald Trump, Joan Rivers, RuPaul and Tommy Lee and Pam Anderson
- China plants its flag on the moon as lunar probe heads back to Earth
- Isro all set to launch space-themed merchandise
- Astronaut Skillsets Useful for Beating COVID Isolation Fatigue, Professor Says
- Astronaut Tim Peake: ‘Coming home was a harsh transition. Gravity sucks!’
- Moment the International Space Station glides across the face of the moon just six hours after the historic arrival of SpaceX's Crew Dragon capsule carrying two NASA astronauts
- Runner's high: Tim Peake finishes London Marathon in space
Here are an astronaut’s favorite photos of Earth taken from space have 341 words, post on www.digitaltrends.com at March 28, 2021. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.