Technology is reshaping every aspect of our lives. Once a week in The Future of series, we examine innovations in important fields, from farming to transportation, and what they will mean in the years and decades to come. A decade ago, Google's ambitions seemed unchecked: The company would design self-piloting cars through Waymo, sponsor moonbases , and even conquer death . One of the company's plans: Smart contact lenses to measure the glucose level of your tears — and perhaps help reduce the damage caused by diabetes. "It's still early days for this technology, but we've completed multiple clinical research studies, which are helping to refine our prototype," wrote Google's Brian Otis and Babak Parviz back in 2014. Seven years later, the company's ego remains just as inflated, but Verily's smart contact lenses are nowhere to be seen; the side project of Google parent Alphabet was officially abandoned in 2018. Yet smart lenses are finally becoming a reality, thanks to the efforts of countless scientists and engineers. And the future of this intriguing technology is nothing like what you might expect. Today (-ish): Long a dream, smart contacts are here There have been many efforts to advance contact lenses, of… Read full this story
- Netflix’s Altered Carbon shows us a future where augmented reality is everywhere
- Get real! How augmented reality toys could make VR feel like a gimmick
- Google Lens offers a snapshot of the future for augmented reality and AI
- Get past the gimmicks and gaze upon the future of augmented reality apps
- Sony’s three-player virtual air hockey table is a peek at the future of augmented reality
- Augmented reality is changing the face of digital marketing
- What’s the influence of augmented reality on the ecommerce industry?
- Facebook aims to crush Snapchat with augmented reality
- Samsung augmented reality efforts get a boost with Google partnership
- Why It’s So Hard to Design Fashionable Augmented-Reality Glasses
The Future of Vision: Augmented reality contact lenses will make you bionic have 323 words, post on www.digitaltrends.com at March 2, 2021. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.