After a decade of planning and a head count that took place against the backdrop of an unprecedented pandemic, natural disasters and partisan legal battles, the U.S. Census Bureau is releasing the first numbers from the 2020 census before the end of the month. The state population count conducted every decade determines how many congressional seats and Electoral College votes each state gets. It has been a bumpy road getting to this point. The count faced the once-in-a-century coronavirus pandemic, wildfires, hurricanes, allegations of political interference, fluctuating deadlines and lawsuits. A lot is at stake: The state population figures known as the apportionment count not only determine political power but the distribution of $1.5 trillion in federal spending each year. WHY IS THIS DONE? The U.S. Constitution requires a national head count every 10 years. The results of the state head count determine how the 435 seats in the House of Representatives are divided up among the states in a process known as apportionment. Everyone is counted, including citizens, noncitizens, children, military and civilian federal workers living abroad. While he was in the White House, President Donald Trump attempted to exclude people in the country illegally, even though the Constitution… Read full this story
- Census 2020: Key trends of a changing Singapore and what they mean
- Hans von Spakovsky: Voter suppression? Dems flat-out wrong. Census data gives real story about US elections
- What 2020 Tells Us About the Changing Electorate
- Tucker Carlson: Abolishing the suburbs is major part of Biden administration's infrastructure plan
- The Head Of Xbox Says The Gaming Industry Needs More Black Leaders
- Child Tax Credit: Your First Check Is Less Than A Month Away
- Child Tax Credit: How Much Money Will The IRS Send You Each Month?
- Britain, a diverse country for decades, is now superdiverse
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS JUNE 30
- Why Are So Many High-School Grads Skipping Out on College?
EXPLAINER: What the release of 2020 census numbers means have 302 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at April 9, 2021. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.