The Semiconductor Industry Association (SIA) and Boston Consulting Group (BCG) published a report today detailing the, well, semiconductor industry’s weaknesses as the entire world attempts to figure out how to respond to the ongoing chip shortage . Many enthusiasts probably know the biggest issue: The semiconductor industry relies on many companies around the globe, but most operate within a very specific niche, giving them significant influence over their domain. This results in a supply chain that is both dangerously small and dazzlingly large, geographically speaking. “There are more than 50 points across the supply chain where one region holds more than 65% of the global market share,” SIA and BCG said in their report, adding that manufacturing is “a major focal point when it comes to the resilience of the global semiconductor supply chain.” They went on to explain: “About 75% of semiconductor manufacturing capacity, as well as many suppliers of key materials — such as silicon wafers, photoresist, and other specialty chemicals — are concentrated in China and East Asia, a region significantly exposed to high seismic activity and geopolitical tensions. Furthermore, all of the world’s most advanced semiconductor manufacturing capacity — in nodes below 10 nanometers — is… Read full this story
- Is US After China's Semiconductor Industry?
- China's integrated circuit industry adds 19,000 firms in Q3
- Asia's textile industry hit hard by COVID-19 downturn
- #AgainstAllOdds ! Suchitra Pillai: “One big point in this industry, keep your ego at home; it will get you nowhere”
- These charts show the jobs recovery is far from complete
- Study sounds alarm over rise of clinics offering stem cell therapies
- VW Lost $489 Per Car So Far In 2020, Porsche Made $11,800: Study
- People who live in areas with higher levels of air pollution are 11 per cent MORE likely to die if they catch Covid-19, study warns
- T-cell study gains insight into COVID-19 immunity, asymptomatic people could be safer
- Germany's car industry struggles with transformation amid coronavirus crisis
Study Shows How Fragile Semiconductor Industry Still Is have 309 words, post on www.tomshardware.com at April 1, 2021. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.