A recent Linux patch posted by AMD reveals that the company’s Instinct MI200 next-generation compute GPU, codenamed ‘Aldebaran,’ will use a multi-chip module (MCM) design. That means the GPU will come with two dies in a single chip package instead of the single die we’re accustomed to with standard GPUs. The accelerator is based on the CDNA 2 architecture and is set to be used for the Frontier exascale supercomputer due to be delivered this year. “On Aldebaran, only primary die fetches valid power data,” an AMD Linux patch reads . “Show power/energy values as 0 on secondary die. Also, power limit should not be set through secondary die.” AMD has a patent called ‘GPU Chiplets Using High-Bandwidth Crosslinks,’ as noted by Coelacanth-dream , so AMD has been working on its multi-chip compute GPU technology for some time. Meanwhile, according to the Linux patch, AMD’s MCM GPU technology requires one of the chiplets to become the primary and manage secondary chiplets, which helps the multi-chip GPU look and behave like one big processor to the host system. Making a multi-chip compute GPU is akin to making a multi-core MCM CPU, like the Ryzen 5000 or Threadripper processors. Firstly, bringing dies closer together… Read full this story
- Acer expands the Chromebook line powered by AMD processors with Chromebook 315
- Space it out: The challenge of designing small rooms
- Chipping Steam Fair (PICTURE GALLERY)
- What developments lies in store for the tech sector in 2019?
- Asus ROG launches Zephyrus S, the thinnest gaming laptop, with a price tag of RON 9,500
- Honor View20 launches on January 20
- AOC launches a new gaming monitor with 31.5 inch display and 4K resolution
- Adrian Weckler: 'Which work-friendly 'pro' tablet is capable of doing a top job?'
- The best casserole dishes for delicious soups, stews, and pot roasts
- All these Plymouth businesses have absolutely smashed it in 2018
AMD's Instinct MI200 GPU Uses Multi-Chip Design for Exascale Supercomputer have 302 words, post on www.tomshardware.com at June 10, 2021. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.