A recent Linux patch posted by AMD reveals that the company’s Instinct MI200 next-generation compute GPU, codenamed ‘Aldebaran,’ will use a multi-chip module (MCM) design. That means the GPU will come with two dies in a single chip package instead of the single die we’re accustomed to with standard GPUs. The accelerator is based on the CDNA 2 architecture and is set to be used for the Frontier exascale supercomputer due to be delivered this year. “On Aldebaran, only primary die fetches valid power data,” an AMD Linux patch reads . “Show power/energy values as 0 on secondary die. Also, power limit should not be set through secondary die.” AMD has a patent called ‘GPU Chiplets Using High-Bandwidth Crosslinks,’ as noted by Coelacanth-dream , so AMD has been working on its multi-chip compute GPU technology for some time. Meanwhile, according to the Linux patch, AMD’s MCM GPU technology requires one of the chiplets to become the primary and manage secondary chiplets, which helps the multi-chip GPU look and behave like one big processor to the host system. Making a multi-chip compute GPU is akin to making a multi-core MCM CPU, like the Ryzen 5000 or Threadripper processors. Firstly, bringing dies closer together… Read full this story
- Nvidia's new data center GPU packs 20 times the performance of its predecessor
- AMD Zen 3, Ryzen 4000 Release Date, Specifications, Performance, All We Know
- The future of leading-edge chips according to TSMC: 5nm, 4nm, 3nm and beyond
- Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 7 review: AMD’s flagship laptop?
- I confess, I'm scared of the next generation of supercomputers
- PS5: prezzo, uscita, design e controller della nuova console next-gen
- Intel's new mobile chips tease gaming frame rates well ahead of AMD Ryzen's finest
- Intel's 7nm is Broken, Company Announces Delay Until 2022, 2023
- Here's how Huawei and other Chinese firms could access crucial CPU technology without restrictions
- Asus TUF A15 Review: An almost perfect entry-level gaming laptop blemished by a sub-par display
AMD's Instinct MI200 GPU Uses Multi-Chip Design for Exascale Supercomputer have 312 words, post on www.tomshardware.com at June 10, 2021. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.