India head coach Igor Stimac on Friday expressed concern at the lack of quality footballers at the national level and urged the top tier Indian Super League and I-League to play proactive roles to produce players like Sunil Chhetri . Lack of a quality striker was once again evident in India’s recent World Cup qualifiers in Qatar as India relied heavily on the ageing Chhetri who struck a brace in their 2-0 win over Bangladesh, the lone win of the campaign. In a virtual media conference after India made it to the final qualifying round of the 2023 Asian Cup, the 53-year-old Croat took questions on the range of issues, ranging from his future to the drawbacks of the Indian Super League. Stimac was asked about the next Chhetri and he shot back: “Who do you see in India who can replace Chhetri? Do you see anyone in a striking position to play as centre forward?” The national team should exploit players coming out from the clubs. National team is not an academy, we are not a factory to produce players.He said “the national team suffered from all the weakness that is apparent in the country’s top league, the ISL”…. Read full this story
- Why does the LSU football team have so many injuries? A deep dive into why it's been 'uncommon'
- Indian Men's Football Team Dedicate 8th SAFF Title to 'Team Spirit'
- Indian Arrows, FIFA U-17 World Cup Right Steps to Develop New Generation: Igor Stimac
- Indian Football Team To Leave For Qatar On May 19 For World Cup Qualifiers | Football News
- 5 old stadiums and what they look like after football - from flats to IKEA superstore
- Man Utd news LIVE: Lingard to Barcelona or Milan, Cristiano Ronaldo deal may convince Pogba to stay – transfer latest
- African female footballers face uphill battle to play a 'man's game'
- Fantasy Football Start Or Sit Week 8: Can Kirk Cousins Put Up Points On The Cowboys Defense?
- Man Utd 'very close' to £70m transfer agreement, announcement plan, Chelsea, Arsenal news
- Man Utd news LIVE: Bruno Fernandes EXCLUSIVE, Dani Olmo transfer interest, Schmeichel backs Solskjaer to succeed
Igor Stimac Says Indian Football Team Is Not A Factory To Produce Players Like Sunil Chhetri | Football News have 346 words, post on sports.ndtv.com at June 18, 2021. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.