Synopsis Ireland’s Data Protection Commission, which is lead EU regulator for many of the world’s top internet firms due to the location of their regional headquarters in Ireland, is allowed to impose fines of up to 4% of global revenue. TikTok’s lead data privacy regulator in the European Union has opened two inquiries into the Chinese-owned short-video platform related to the processing of children’s personal data and transfers of personal data to China. Ireland’s Data Protection Commission, which is lead EU regulator for many of the world’s top internet firms due to the location of their regional headquarters in Ireland, is allowed to impose fines of up to 4% of global revenue. TikTok in August announced stricter privacy controls for teenagers, seeking to address criticism that it has failed to protect children from hidden advertising and inappropriate content. Owned by China’s ByteDance, TikTok has grown rapidly around the world, particularly among teenagers. The first of the probes relates “to the processing of personal data in the context of platform settings for users under age 18 and age verification measures for persons under 13,” the Data Protection Commission said in a statement. The second probe will focus on transfers by TikTok… Read full this story
- EU group formulates data privacy strategy
- GDPR: New EU data privacy laws just one month away
- Q&A: What is GDPR and what does it mean for data privacy?
- Facebook Data Privacy Effect: Instagram Will Soon Let You Download All Your Data Through A Tool
- Facebook is now in the data-privacy spotlight. Could Google be next?
- New EU Regulation to Toughen Data Sharing Rules for Foreign Companies
- German legislators to grill Facebook manager on data privacy
- Trai views on data privacy, security in telecom sector: R S Sharma
- Trai to finalise recommendation on data privacy, security in telecom sector by the end of April: Chairman RS Sharma
- Facebook's data privacy control changes ahead of GDPR don't thrill everyone
TikTok's lead EU regulator opens two data privacy probes have 319 words, post on economictimes.indiatimes.com at September 15, 2021. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.