Y: The Last Man — premiering Tuesday on Disney+ Hotstar in India, and also available FX on Hulu in the US — has had such a long and troubled road to the screen that it’s impossible to discuss the comic book adaptation without contemporary comparisons. In it, half the world’s population just drops dead all of a sudden without explanation. It’s like HBO’s critical darling The Leftovers but on a much, much bigger scale, akin to the five years between Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame. Tonally and narratively though, Y: The Last Man more closely resembles fellow post-apocalyptic adaptation The Walking Dead — in fact, the latter comic series began a year after Y: The Last Man, but that show is now in its eleventh and final season. It’s possible that the showrunners of Y: The Last Man are hoping for a similar reception. Unfortunately, that’s the wrong call. Y: The Last Man the comic, created by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra, was never short on humour despite its depressing circumstances. Heck, its protagonist has a pet monkey. And though Vaughan and Guerra serve as executive producers on Y: The Last Man the series, that tone is missing… Read full this story
- Avengers Endgame IMAX 3D review: Is it worth seeing in IMAX?
- Comic Book Reviews for This Week: 12/11/2019
- Trapped in a hoax: survivors of conspiracy theories speak out
- Every Movie of the 2010s, Ranked
- The most-anticipated games of 2020
- The Secret History of Ultimate Marvel, the Experiment That Changed Superheroes Forever
- How Identity Politics Conquered the Art World
- Movies to watch this week at the cinema: Deadpool, A Bigger Splash, more...
- The Store (It Would Seem) Is Not Dead (At Least For Now)
- What Hope Hicks Knows
Y: The Last Man Review – The Leftovers Meets Designated Survivor in Avengers: Endgame’s Post-Apocalyptic Scale have 288 words, post on gadgets.ndtv.com at September 14, 2021. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.