For free real time breaking news alerts sent straight to your inbox sign up to our breaking news emails Sign up to our free breaking news emails Torrential rain on Wednesday night has left many parts of southern and east England flooded. The Met Office issued an amber weather warning across London and large parts of southern and east England ahead of heavy rainfall and strong winds from a storm moving in from France. It warned that power cuts, difficult driving conditions and road closures were expected. It comes only a fortnight after similar downpours caused days of disruption on the London Underground and left some shops and homes underwater. The Thames Barrier was also closed to protect London from flooding, the Environment Agency said. The barriers which protect London's flood plains from being flooded by high tides, will remain shut until 6pm on Thursday. Closing the barrier reduces the risk of flooding for up to 640,000 properties in London and along the Thames, the Environment Agency said. Recommended UK weather: Snow forecast as temperatures set to drop to -10C in Arctic blast UK weather map shows where snow could hit in next 24 hours How to drive safely on… Read full this story
- UK weather forecast – Met Office warns of THREE WEEKS’ worth of rain this weekend as mudslide closes train line
- UK weather forecast – ‘Danger to life’ warning in place with ‘BEAST’ Hurricane Lorenzo set to bring more misery later this week
- UK weather forecast – Sunshine quashes Christmas Day snow predictions after floods and gales
- UK weather forecast: 14in of snow to blanket Britain later this month as NORDIC BLAST hits
- UK weather forecast – Christmas Day sunshine after floods and 60mph gales make roads ‘treacherous’ for millions
- UK weather forecast – Met Office warns heavy rain could flood homes and spark POWER CUTS in a weekend washout
- UK weather forecast: Will skies stay clear for New Year's Eve fireworks?
- UK weather forecast – Brits brace for more downpours with flood warnings overnight before weather set to clear
- UK weather forecast – South set for New Year’s Eve deluge – while North will have best fireworks weather
- UK weather forecast: Record breaking hottest year to end with 11C New Year’s Eve – but fog will cause chaos
UK weather forecast: Floods bring disruption to England as Scotland faces snow have 368 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at October 21, 2021. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.