Washington (CNN) Joe Biden has canceled more student loan debt than any other President — a notable fact that’s flown under the radar. Taking a piecemeal approach, the Biden administration has expanded existing loan forgiveness programs for borrowers who work in the public sector, those who were defrauded by for-profit colleges and borrowers who are now permanently disabled. Those moves have delivered significant relief to more than 700,000 borrowers, totaling more than $17 billion. Yet some voters feel misled by the President, who had supported canceling $10,000 for each of the 43 million federal student loan borrowers while on the campaign trail. “He’s not delivering on his promise,” said Jennifer Lewis, a 57-year-old nurse practitioner in Washington state who has about $80,000 in student loan debt. Read More “If he were to run again, I would think twice about voting for president at all,” added Lewis, a self-described “super progressive.” Biden is also facing a drumbeat of pressure from some key Democratic lawmakers who are urging him to do more and cancel $50,000 per borrower. That puts Biden in a tough political spot as Americans are struggling with rising inflation in a midterm election year. The administration is planning to… Read full this story
- White House reviewing whether Biden can take action to cancel student loan debt
- Schumer, Warren introduce bill calling on Biden to wipe out student loan debt
- Biden stimulus update: When is my third IRS check, unemployment, or student loan forgiveness coming?
- Rand Paul, in tense exchange, presses Biden’s Education Department nominee on transgender student athletes
- Biden's political correctness could threaten women’s sports: NY Post columnist
- Chuck Schumer: It’s a ‘Great Day’ for Joe Biden to Cancel Student Debt
- Schumer Re-ups Effort With Squad, Pushes Biden to Expand Student Debt Forgiveness
- Adviser Anita Dunn: Joe Biden Can Be Bipartisan Without GOP Lawmakers
- Joe Biden inauguration: UK start time, schedule and TV channel
- Fact Check: Can Joe Biden Eliminate All Healthcare Debt By Executive Order?
Why Biden hasn't scored a political win from canceling $17 billion in student loans have 317 words, post on edition.cnn.com at March 27, 2022. This is cached page on X-Buy. If you want remove this page, please contact us.